Summer is the sweetest time of the year…literally. I am not a sugar person, but maybe it’s the summer heat or because I’m out and about with the kids, this time of the year I choose to give my taste buds a party with some yummy sugary treats. I want to share with you some of my local favorites.
- When it comes to cool treats, my absolute favorite is Jeremiah’s Italian Ice . I love their gelati in coconut and passion Fruit or if I crave a simple soft serve ice cream, the vanilla kiddie on a cone is my choice.
- Cupakes are so in… and I found this summer Smallcakes in Lake Mary .I tasted the chocolate, peanut butter cup, red velvet, and german chocolate. It was an experience. These cupcakes are moist and not too sweet, the perfect combination of flavors. Their smallest cupcake is just the right size, although it leaves you anxiously waiting for your next visit.
- If I’m in the Puerto Rican spirit, and can’t travel to my beautiful island (staycation for me!!), I drive to El Coqui Bakery in Deltona. Their fabulous pastries are fluffy and full of flavor. My favorites are the quesito, a pastry filled with cream cheese and the pastelillo, a guava filled pastry with confectioners’ sugar on top. Just say hi to the owner for me when you visit, he is good looking like me, it runs in the family. I know he will make your experience at El Coqui Bakery, a wonderful one because he’s my brother.
- If popsicles is the way to go… try the delicious and refreshing one that Pop Craft. While strolling through the Orlando International Premier Outlets, I tried their organic coconut, it was so creamy and my son tried the strawberry lemon, so fruity and refreshing. I loved them, and they are made with whole fresh fruit.
- Now, if we are talking homemade desserts, there are so many places that have yummy, made with all their heart homemade desserts, but none like my home. I enjoy desserts I can make at home, or that my kids bake or prepare with love. My winner this time for homemade dessert because it’s simple and cool to enjoy during hot summer days is the Strawberry Cream Pie. My mom taught is to us, and now even my son prepares it when we have friends over for Sabbath lunch.
So if you are in central Florida visiting or live here and enjoying a summer staycation, indulge in these local delicacies or whip up your own signature family dessert.
Sweet love to you,