This cold weather call for something warm, delicious, healthy and easy to make… and I have the perfect recipe for you.
I once tried this Lentil soup at my friend’s house (thank you Joanna for offering me this deliciousness… yumm!). It very easy to prepare and very nutritious.
Lentil is from the legume family. It is a very good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber. Not only do lentils help lower cholesterol, they are of special benefit in managing blood-sugar disorders since their high fiber content prevents blood sugar levels from rising rapidly after a meal. Lentils also provide good to excellent amounts of seven important minerals, our B-vitamins, and protein—all with virtually no fat. There is just 230 calories for a whole cup of cooked lentils and it will fill you up. (Source: whfoods)
Lentil Soup Recipe:
½ bag of dried lentil
3 cloves of garlic
1/3 of small onion
1 stick of Celery
1 small Carrot
1 can of petite decide tomato (preferably low sodium)
A few leaves of cilantro
Pinch of sea salt or to taste
- In a pot cover the lentils with water and place on the stove at high temperature. Once it boils lower temperature to medium.
- After 20 minutes check the lentils, you can start adding the ingredients.
- Cut the garlic, onion, celery, and carrot. Add these ingredients to the pot.
- Check the lentils for consistency. If they are soft, it means they are ready to eat. Add the cilantro and a pinch of salt or salt to your taste (remember to use salt (sodium) sparingly. The canned tomatoes already have some salt in it.)
This soup can be eaten on its own, but I was craving some cabbage and feeling inspired in the kitchen. So here comes my next recipe… ripe plantain with sauteed purple cabbage.
Ripe Plantain with Sauteed Purple Cabbage:
1/3 of a Purple cabbage head
1 Ripe plantain (yellow plantain)
1 teaspoon of olive oil
1 clove of garlic
Pinch of sea salt
- I cooked the ripe plantain in the microwave (I didn’t have much time to do it in the conventional oven, but you can use that method as well). Peel the plantain, take a wet paper towel and cover the plantain and place in the microwave. In my microwave oven I press the bake potatoes button (It takes around 5 minutes).
- Place in a pan the olive oil and the cabbage at medium heat. I am using and loving my new green pan from target (sources:Target and Green pan). This pan is much better that the non-stick Teflon pans which is harmful for your health.
- Add the smashed garlic and sauteed at medium to medium-low heat for a few minutes.
- Cut the plantain into pieces and add to the cabbage.
- Once the cabbage has reached your desired consistency, you may turn off
- Serve and enjoy!!!!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!