Mornings might mean grabbing a quick breakfast and rushing out the door. A quick breakfast can still be healthy. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so make it a delicious one.
Add a little green to your toast. Toasts with avocado are yummy, healthy and easy to prepare.
Avocados have many vitamins and minerals including potassium (which helps control blood pressure), lutein (which is good for your eyes), and folate (which is crucial for cell repair and during pregnancy). They are a good source of B vitamins, which help you fight off disease and infection. They also give you vitamins C and E, plus natural plant chemicals that may help prevent cancer.
Avocados contain fiber, which helps you feel full longer. Avocados are high in fat. But it’s monounsaturated fat, which is a “good” fat that helps lower bad cholesterol, as long as you eat them in moderation. Source: WebMD
Whole wheat bread
- Smash the garlic and add olive oil. Mix these to make garlic oil.
- Spread some oil over the slices of bread.
- Place the slices of bread in a toaster, a toaster oven, or on a press (George Foreman Grill).
- Let it toast as desired
- In a bowl puree the avocado and you may add salt (in moderation) for taste.
- Enjoy this delicious, filling, meal for breakfast, lunch or as a healthy snack.
You may also want to try the Puerto Rican style “Gaspacho”
1 pound Cod fish (bacalao)
Olive oil- amount desired
- The dry cod fish is very salt. Wash and rinse, and keep in water a few minutes to eliminate some of the salt.
- Shred the cod fish
- Cut the avocado in small pieces
- Cut tomato
- Cut the onion
- Add all ingredients together (cod fish, tomato, onion, and avocado)
- Add the olive oil. Not too much, just enough so it is not too dry and mixes well.
- Eat as a salad, on toast, on Puerto Rican, Italian or Cuban bread.
Try one of these avocado alternatives this week, and let me know how you like it.